Persons who are lawful permanent residents or who are admitted as refugees are eligible to establish domicile for tuition purposes. Non-immigrant aliens who are residing in Colorado for purposes other than education may qualify for in-state status after one year of Colorado residence. The non-immigrant categories subject this provision are determined by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education.

Non-immigrants in the following categories cannot qualify for in-state tuition: F-1, F-2, H-3, J-1, M-1 and M-2.

  • H-4 will qualify unless the visa holder is the spouse of child of an H-3.
  • J-2 will qualify if the J-1 visa holder is not a student of trainee.
  • H-1B, L, K, V, E, O and P visa may qualify.