- Students majoring in biology must receive a grade of C or better (2.000) in all core biology courses.
- Students graduating with a BS in biology must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.000 in the major area. A cumulative GPA of 2.600 in the major area is required for admission to the teacher education program.
- Transfer students are required to earn a minimum of 15 semester credit hours in approved Biology upper division courses from CSU-Pueblo, including BIOL 493 Seminar (1 c.h.), for graduation with a BS degree in Biology.
- A maximum of 6 semester credit hours of approved upper division CHEM courses may be applied towards approved upper division biology electives.
- A maximum of 6 semester credit hours of approved upper division WANR courses may be applied towards approved upper division biology electives.
- Graduates are encouraged to complete a minor outside the biology department.
Core Requirements for the Biology Major
|BIOL 171||First Year Seminar||1|
|College Biology I/Organismal Bio|
and College Biology I/Organismal Bio Lab
|College Biology II/Cellular Biology|
and College Biology II/Cellular Bio Lab
|Select one of the following:||4|
and Botany Laboratory
and Zoology Laboratory
and General Microbiology Lab
|BIOL 350||Mendelian and Population Genetics||2|
|BIOL 351||Molecular Biology and Genetics||2|
|BIOL 352||Evolutionary Biology and Ecology||3|
|Select one of the following:||4|
and Cellular Biology Lab
and Plant Physiology Lab
and Vertebrate Physiology Lab
Basic Biology Emphasis
|Required Biology Core Courses|
|Biology Core Courses||30|
|Adviser Approved Upper Division Biology Electives|
|Select 15 credits||15|
|Required Support Courses|
|General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry Lab I
|General Chemistry II|
and General Chemistry Lab II
|Organic Chemistry I|
and Organic Chemistry Lab I
|Organic Chemistry II|
and Organic Chemistry Lab II
|MATH 156||Introduction to Statistics||3|
|MATH 221||Applied Calc: An Intuitive Approach||4|
|Select one of the following sequences:||8-10|
|Principles of Physics I|
and Principles of Physics Lab I
|Principles Of Physics II|
and Principles Of Physics II Lab
|General Physics I|
and General Physics I Lab
|General Physics II|
and General Physics II Lab
|COMR 103||Speaking and Listening (H)||3|
|Institutional and General Education|
|Select 21 credits||21|
|Select 14-16 credits||14-16|
|Minimum credits to graduate||120|
The general education requirement for graduation includes a total of 35 semester credits in two categories: Skills Component and Knowledge Component. Please see the General Education Requirement section under Academic Policies for more information.
Expected Student Outcomes
- Students will develop a broad-based knowledge of concepts and terminology in molecular, cellular, organismal, and ecological biology.
- Students will develop applied scientific skills though field and laboratory experience and data analysis.
- Students will develop skills in reading and interpreting the scientific literature and in presenting a synthesis of it accurately in oral and written form.
- Students will demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills using experimental design and the scientific method.
Outcomes Assessment Activities
Assessment of students’ improvement in intellectual skills, knowledge and capacities from entrance to graduation will be accomplished through the use of several tools. Exams and course assignments will be used as one measure of the student’s proficiency in writing skills, acquisition of knowledge, communication, problem solving and laboratory skills. All majors will take a Senior Seminar that requires scientific literature interpretation along with oral and written presentations evaluated by peers and department faculty. Seniors will also take the Biology Major Field Test, which measures Colorado State University-Pueblo students’ content knowledge and analytical skills against national norms.