This program requires an MS in Nursing or higher.
Students seeking post Master's certification or DNP Degree in the program who already have a nursing graduate degree are evaluated on an individual basis. Their plan of study is based on their academic credentials. A student must complete a minimum of 16 postgraduate credit hours at CSU Pueblo to be eligible for a post masters certification.
Courses are the same as the Post Bachelor's Certificate, plus the NSG 583 and NSG 583L (135 teaching practicum hours).
Specific Admission Requirements
BSN or MS (Nursing) to DNP or Post Masters Certification
Students are responsible for following all admission policies and procedures as outlined in the Graduate Studies section of the University catalog.
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from an institution accredited by a regional accreditation agency (or equivalent).
- Undergraduate BSN cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher will consider courses with a graduate nursing GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Undergraduate statistics course with a grade of C or higher.
- Application for admission to graduate programs in the university Office of Admission (admission to graduate programs does not constitute admission to the nursing graduate program).
- Proof of active, unrestricted Colorado Registered Nurse license by the end of the first semester of the program.
- Background check per Colorado Law (see application).
- Current immunizations.
- Current certification in CPR (Health Care Provider – C or equivalent).
- Three letters of recommendation:
- Professional or Academic
- Letter of intent that includes:
- Brief professional history
- Reason for pursuing advanced degree
- How applicant will manage work, home, and study
- Curriculum Vitae
(Use the template located under Graduate Nursing Student Application Instructions on the website)
Preference for acceptance will be given to applicants who have:
- 2000 Hours (1 year full-time) experience as a registered nurse (AGACNP, AGACNP/FNP and PMHNP emphases only).
- One year or more of experience as a clinical adjunct instructor (Nurse Educator only)
- Residency in Southern Colorado
- Graduate from CSU Pueblo
If accepted into a program, requirements prior to attending first class include:
- Drug screen
- Physical exam within last 12 months
The End Of Program Student Learning Outcomes:
- Integrate evidence-based practice, ethical decision-making and technology into advanced nursing practice.
- Utilize inter-professional collaboration to provide safe, quality patient-centered care.
- Explore quality improvement initiatives that affect delivery of advanced practice nursing and health care services.
Students seeking post masters’ certification or DNP Degree in the program who already have a nursing graduate degree are evaluated on an individual basis. Their plan of study is based on their academic credentials. A student must complete a minimum of 16 postgraduate credit hours at CSU Pueblo to be eligible for a post masters certification. Core courses must be completed to meet the mandates of the Colorado State Board of Nursing for Advanced Nursing Practice. The student’s plan is developed based on the academic course work already completed.